North Weald Redoubt was built in the late 1800’s as the first stage of a Military Defence Line against any invasion of England. It was used to store ammunition to protect London if war ever broke out. Now fast decaying and being taken over by the brambles it’s still an interesting place to visit.
The below is a gorge casemate which was used to store shells and barrack soldiers – there are a number of these long buildings.
The entrances to the Redoubt are, perhaps, not the most welcoming!
But the local youths certainly made short work of the large steel doors