North Weald Redoubt

Continuing our look at the North Weald Redoubt, this is the view at one end of the Gorge Casemates looking way back along the corridor, the divisions of each individual room or storage area can be seen quite clearly.

Coming back out of the gorge casemates you can see a wooden platform that was apparently used by the GPO who were the last occupiers of the Redoubt at North Weald.

Outside the North Weald Redoubt

and finally…as in all derelict premises…the burnt out car – in this case a Ford Fiesta, though how the car got to where it is, is anyone’s guess!

The Fiesta at North Weald Redoubt


North Weald Redoubt was built in the late 1800’s as the first stage of a Military Defence Line against any invasion of England. It was used to store ammunition to protect London if war ever broke out. Now fast decaying and being taken over by the brambles it’s still an interesting place to visit.

The below is a gorge casemate which was used to store shells and barrack soldiers – there are a number of these long buildings.

The entrances to the Redoubt are, perhaps, not the most welcoming!

Entering the North Weald Redoubt

But the local youths certainly made short work of the large steel doors

Steel Door at North Weald Redoubte

More tomorrow…